Pages

Wednesday 28 July 2010

Screen grabs

Carrying on from yesterday's initial research where I took screen grabs of 60 UK police and related home pages, I have today taken similar grabs of some typical content pages and page footers.

The idea is to continue making observations about the areas where there are similarities between force sites and pointing out any reasonable observations as I go along.  I haven't structure the work yet - just going with the flow and seeing where it takes me next.  All the screen grabs are public in my Google Picasa web albums.  there should be a link to the most recent posts here.

I haven't got time tonight to start going through these grabs yet but some key similarities do stick out:

Most sites have the traditional top level navigation along the top with the rest on the left and a breadcrumbs trail along the top of the main content area.

Most sites do have a consistent footer area where such things as copyright, terms and other links lurk.

Most sites are designed in a three column traditional design with the navigation on the left, content in the middle and 'other stuff' on the right.

Police sites are generally blue with chequered squares.

I'll go no further tonight but in coming blog entries, I'll start to get into the detail of each aspect of the pages.  If you can offer any helpful advice or would like to offer to help (take your pick at this stage).  Tweet me @beaker9 and let me know what you think.

For those of you who were wondering, I am doing all this in my own time at the moment.

Nite all . .

No comments: